- South Canberra
- Cook, Child Care and Education Centre
Are you passionate about cooking and encouraging a healthy approach to food and nutrition? Join Canberra's largest Children's Services provider and become part of our inclusive team.
About the Role
Communities at Work is Canberra's largest Children's Services provider, operating numerous Early Education Centres across Canberra. Our services are dedicated to providing a safe and supportive environment that promotes children's wellbeing and inspires a love of learning, with staff focussing on the delivery of high-quality education and care.
We currently have opportunities for Centre Cooks at Communities at Work Early Education and Care Centres. The vacancies are for highly motivated individuals to prepare healthy meals for children, in accordance to the service menu based off Australian Nutrition Guidelines. Opportunities to work within the rooms with the children and educators is also possible if you are willing to obtain or already hold a minimum of Certificate III in Early Education and Care.
- Maintain current Working with Vulnerable People' registration.
- Experience in delivery of a food program designed from health guidelines and regulation requirements.
- General operational knowledge of Early Education and Care services.
- Ability to work successfully as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Food Safety and Food Handlers certification.
- First Aid certification.
As a Cook, you will ensure the planning, preparation and provision of nutritional meals to children attending the centre each day. You will maintain the hygiene, cleanliness and organisation of the food preparation and eating areas, in accordance with Communities at Work's Food Safety Program, nutritional guidelines and WHS requirements.
As a Cook you will support educators to provide experiences that encourage children to develop a positive approach to healthy food and nutrition.
What's in it for you:
- An above Award wage of $29.26 per hour as per Communities at Work Enterprise Agreement.
- Salary packaging options that can increase your take home pay.
- Accrue above industry award for paid personal leave, a total of 15 days per annum (pro-rata for part-time staff).
- Accrue 20 days paid annual leave per annum (pro-rata for part-time staff).
- At the commencement of service access discounted fees for your own child(ren) should they be enrolled in our Early Education and Care, Out of School Hours Care, and/or School Holiday Programs.
- Grow your career with professional development, training and mentoring with the 5-time winner of Large Employer of the Year award at the ACT Training Awards.
- Enjoy options for study allowance should study a qualification through our RTO.
- Enjoy healthy living with our active lifestyle & healthy activity programs and reimbursements (including remedial massages, annual flu vaccination and more).
- Receive guidance and support for mental health through our Employee Assistance Program.
- Make a difference and change lives in the Canberra community as part of Canberra's largest community organisation.
About Communities at Work
- Communities at Work is Canberra's largest not-for-profit community organisation and the largest provider of Children's Services in the region. Our surplus-for-purpose philosophy enables us to invest every dollar we earn right back into the local community. Our focus is on enriching lives today and shaping better futures tomorrow.
- We are the five-time winner of the "Large Employer of the Year" award at the ACT Training Awards (2019 to 2023) which demonstrates our commitment to excellence in training, professional development, and career progression of our people.
- With over 40 years of experience in the ACT and Capital Region, our people help us deliver a wide range of high-quality education and community services that support positive educational outcomes, assist in alleviating hardship, enhance the quality of life and lead to positive social change in the Canberra community.
How to Apply
- Click APPLY, be sure to include a cover letter, or contact the People, Culture and Wellness team on 02 6293 6545 for a confidential discussion.
- Communities at Work encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, young people, mature-aged workers, people with disabilities and people from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply for our roles.
Closing date for applications: 30/10/2023