Plan a food or clothing donation drive
Running a food or clothing drive is a great way to help people in need. If you’re a corporate or business, it can be a great way to build up your team and connect your staff with your community. As an individual or a community group, you can bring your local community together by putting together a fundraising event or a donation drive. It is simple to organise and makes a huge impact.
1. Identify Needs: Contact our Support Services for Hardship (Social Programs) team and find out our current needs (such as formal clothes, non-perishable food items etc). You can use our Get in Touch form to do so. Alternatively, check out our Donate Food or Donate Clothes pages to get the latest information!
2. Put together your team: Get some friends or colleagues together to help you plan your donation drive. Decide aspects such as timeframe (how long will the donation drive run for) and the medium (such as how, when, and where) of fundraising.
3. Promote your donation drive: Spread the word! Whether it’s via word of mouth, social media, posters/flyers, or some other creative activity or event, get your message out to collect donations for Communities at Work.
4. Drop off your collected donations of food or clothes: Call ahead (or drop us an email) and let our team know that you’re coming along with donations to your nearest Communities at Work Centre (Tuggeranong or Gungahlin). You may also be able to drop off your donations to one of the other round-the-year donation bins available at several locations around Canberra.
Feel free to use the get in touch form on our website to contact our Support Services (Social Programs) team to assist you in organising a food or clothing donation drive!
Run a local charity fundraising event
The key to having a successful fundraising event is to encourage engagement and to make it fun. Whether you want to jump out of a plane, walk a kilometre, bake cupcakes or host a trivia night, you can help the community by raising funds for Communities at Work. Your imagination is the limit! Examples of some ideas are listed below:
- 5K Run/Walk
- Games night / Trivia fundraiser
- Cupcake bake-offs
- Golf Tournament
- Gala event
- Fashion fundraiser
- Travel raffle
- Oddball events
- School lock-in
Stuck on what to do? Get in touch with our team and they’ll be happy to help you plan a fundraiser!
Online Fundraising in Canberra and beyond
Not feeling up to organising an in-person fundraising drive? You can always go virtual! Spread the word, share the link to Communities at Work’s Donate Money page, and get people to donate directly to us via our website. You can also set up an online fundraiser through a third-party website (such as GiveNow or GoFundMe) and then pool the donations to submit to our organisation online. All donations above $2 are tax-deductible!
Are you a social media nut? Well, if your fundraising activity involves asking friends, family and colleagues to sponsor you, you can set up your own fundraiser through Facebook! Communities at Work is recognised by Facebook as a charity, which means you can now create a fundraiser on Facebook for our organisation and have your family, friends or colleagues, donate directly on the platform! Facebook covers the processing fees so 100% of all donations go directly to us, helping us support the Canberra community. Visit https://www.facebook.com/fund/communitiesatwork/ to create a Facebook Fundraiser for Communities at Work, and share it with anyone looking to create a fundraiser. You can also check out this page for more information.
Fundraising every time you Shop
By using Shopnate to do your online shopping, you can help us help the community. Simply by registering at Shopnate, every time you shop online at hundreds of big-name retailers, they will donate a percentage of your purchase price to us. It’s that simple! Shopnate will never cost you a cent, so register today: https://www.shopnate.com.au/charity/communities_work
Support our Christmas Appeal by Hosting a ‘Giving Tree’
You can host a virtual giving tree, or a giving tree in your workplace/school/community, to collect donations for Communities at Work every year for our Annual Christmas Appeal. Giving Trees are specific fundraising drives for food and gifts during Christmas times as this festive season is when we see increased demand from those experiencing hardship during the festive season and you can help! Visit our Christmas Appeal page for more information on how to register as a Christmas Appeal Supporter and host a giving tree.
Communities at Work is a charity registered by the Australian Charities and Not-For-Profits Commission and endorsed as a Deductible Gift Recipient by the Australian Taxation Office. All financial donations made above $2 are tax-deductible.