Donate Food and Gifts this Christmas
No one should have to miss out on Christmas. Many families and children have missed out on so much already this year, with the smoke and bushfires, and then the COVID-19 pandemic. Please help us make sure they don’t miss out on Christmas too by supporting our Communities@Work Christmas Appeal.
We invite you to donate food, gifts or toys for both adults and children – or even money – to help vulnerable people.
If you would like to collect donations for our Christmas appeal at your workplace, school or community group, scroll further down to ‘host a giving tree’ or click here to download our giving tree toolkit.
Where do I bring my donations?
You can drop off your donations at the below-listed locations of Giving Trees (donation drop off points) in our community that are collecting food and gifts on behalf of Communities@Work:
- Cooleman Court Shopping Centre – the big Christmas tree at Centre Court, Brierly St, Weston ACT 2611
- South.Point Tuggeranong – upstairs near KMart, Anketell St. &, Reed St N, Greenway ACT 2900
- Canberra Toyota Gungahlin, 4 O’Brien Pl, Gungahlin ACT 2912
- Canberra Toyota Fyshwick, 44 Wollongong St, Fyshwick ACT 2609
- Canberra Toyota Belconnen, 1 Josephson St, Belconnen ACT 2617
- Canberra Toyota Phillip, 160 Melrose Dr, Phillip ACT 2606
- Luton Properties – Tuggeranong, 15/232-242 Cowlishaw Street, Greenway ACT 2900
- Gungahlin Village Shopping Centre, Centre Court, 46 Hibberson Street, Gungahlin ACT 2912
- Brumbies Rugby, University of Canberra, Building 29, University Drive South, Bruce ACT 2617
You can, of course, also bring your Christmas donations straight to us at either:
- Communities@Work Tuggeranong (Tuggeranong Community Centre), 245 Cowlishaw Street, Greenway (open Mon-Fri, 9 am – 4 pm)
- Communities@Work Gungahlin (Gungahlin Community Centre), 47 Ernest Cavanagh Street, Gungahlin (open Mon-Fri, 9 am – 4 pm)
What should I donate?
Based on what our clients have said, we have made a list of suggested food or gifts and toys for donation.
It would be great if you could use this list as a guide:
I’d prefer to make a financial donation
If you would prefer to make a financial donation, please donate online here.
Please note that all monetary donations throughout the year go to our food, clothing and accommodation support programs. Your Christmas donations will be used to help put food on the table for those struggling, and to bring joy to them during this festive period.
Frequently Asked Questions: Christmas Donations
For answers to questions such as how many people we assist, how are donations accessed, how much food do we receive, how many gifts we give out, etc., please download and view our frequently asked questions. If you have further questions or concerns, you can contact us via Get in Touch or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download our Christmas Appeal FAQs (FACT SHEET) here.
Year-Round Collection Points
We also have year-round donation bins collecting non-perishable food at:
- Cooleman Court – near the lift, lower ground floor
- Calwell Shopping Centre
- Gungahlin Village (outside Coles)
- Gungahlin Marketplace (outside Woolworths)
- South.Point Tuggeranong (Best Dressed Story, ground floor, opposite JB Hi)
See how your donations stocked our Christmas Caves last year and brought joy to vulnerable people!
Host a Giving Tree
If you would like to help, hosting a Giving Tree at your workplace, school or community group is a great way to show your support and make a significant difference to those who are finding it tough. And it’s easy!
We will provide you with a toolkit of resources and instructions on how to get started and you just start collecting the donations. (Please note: we do not supply a tree). Even if you don’t have a tree, you can set up a table or a box and run a donation drive for Christmas to collect food and gifts.
- STEP 1 Get Approval: Obtain approval from your organisation or school.
- STEP 2 Type of Donations: Decide what items you would like to collect for Communities@Work (see our suggested list above):
- Food and Gifts
- STEP 3 Date: Decide when you will hold your donation drive (start and finish dates). As we support people throughout December, we would appreciate early collections, rather than everything arriving the week before Christmas!
- STEP 4 Register with us: Visit our Get in Touch page (click here), and fill out the registration form by selecting “Register to Host a Giving Tree.” Let us know if you are happy to be listed on our website as a drop-off point for community donations for our Christmas Appeal.
- STEP 5 Resource Toolkit: Check out our Giving Tree toolkit of resources (a poster, newsletter/website/email text, images, logos, etc.) and download the toolkit (or individual resources) to support your Giving Tree campaign by clicking here.
- STEP 6 Start Collecting: Set up your Giving Tree and start collecting donations!
- STEP 7 Deliver Donations: Organise to get the donations to Communities@Work. You can either drop them off yourself at our Tuggeranong or Gungahlin sites or contact us to pick them up for you.
- STEP 8 Thank Supporters: Thank your supporters with our downloadable thank-you certificate (part of the toolkit).