About Communities@Work’s Ascend Program
The Ascend Program (Traineeship in Child Care and Education) is for you if you are passionate about working with children. Whether you are commencing a career or are making a career change, the traineeship program is the first step in a rewarding career as a qualified child care educator.
As a structured, on-the-job development program, Ascend will help you obtain your Cert III qualification while earning an income. Upon successful completion, you will graduate with valuable on-the-job experience and skills as an educator, and a Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care (CHC30113). You will also have the opportunity to potentially be employed on a permanent or ongoing basis with Communities@Work’s Children’s Services after the completion of the traineeship program.
Applications are for the July 2021 Ascend intake are now closed. Click here to register your interest for the next intake.
Program Structure & Guidelines
- Duration of the traineeship: 12-18 months (depending on the pace of completion)
- Study structure: theoretical knowledge and concepts during classes, alongside practical (paid) experience in our early childhood education and care centres, learning support from experienced educators, teachers and mentors.
- Timings: Ascend students are paid over the length of the program and need to be available to work and study full-time for 7.6 hours a day between 7:30 am and 6.00 pm.
- Fees to commence the traineeship: $400 AUD. Options to pay with a payment plan or payroll deduction available. Fee concession if eligible can also be applied.
Interested in applying for the program? Submit an expression of interest on this page and we’ll notify you when applications open.
Applying for the Ascend Program
Applications for our July 2021 intake are now closed. However, if you are interested in applying for the program, we can notify you when our next intake opens up. Please submit your expression of interest here if you’d like to be notified.
You can also speak to a member of our Registered Training Organisation team on 02 6293 6220 about applying for a personalised user-choice funded traineeship to earn while you learn if you’re interested in starting right away.
A career in early childhood education and care is a career that grows. Working with children is a job with meaning, security and satisfaction. A job that makes a difference and provides opportunities for growth and progression.
Find out more about the benefits of the traineeship and other relevant information on our Ascend: FAQs page here.
Not sure if the Ascend Program is the right fit?
If you’re not sure whether the Ascend Program is the right fit for you, Communities@Work can offer you other pathways to begin your career in working with children.
- You can complete a Certificate III qualification with subsidised study (such as under the Skilled Capital Funding) or on a fee-for-service basis. Find out more here.
- You can apply to work as a Casual Out of School Hours Care Educator to gain experience working with children before you move on to Early Childhood Education and Care. Explore current opportunities here.
- You can submit an Expression of Interest to work with us in Children’s Services, and a member of our People, Culture & Wellness (PCW) team will get in touch to discuss your options. Submit your expression of interest here.
You can also download the Communities@Work Ascend Program Handbook here, or visit our Frequently Asked Questions (Ascend) page for more information.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02 6293 6220 for further questions.