We employ over 600 employees in a diverse range of roles across our six program/service areas as well as organisational support, to help us carry out our mission of enriching lives today and shaping better futures tomorrow.
Across our organisation, there are multiple opportunities for people to join us in the social impact we create in the Canberra community. We continually seek to implement new and innovative ways to support our staff and improve the workplace. We offer ongoing professional development, mentoring, support and opportunities for growth. Our inclusive and friendly workplaces enable employees to be at their best. As the three-time winner of the Large Employer of the Year Award at the ACT Training Awards, and as an organisation that has been around for over 43 years, you know you’ll be in good hands!
Why work with us
- You will make a difference and change lives in the Canberra community as part of Canberra’s largest community organisation.
- You will be a part of an inclusive and friendly workplace, where people are at the heart of everything.
- You will increase your take-home pay! Because Communities at Work has charity status, you can salary package up to $15,900 and increase your take-home pay by thousands of dollars per year. Additionally, you can package up to $2,650 in meal entertainment.
- As an employee of the organisation, you will receive discounted child care and education services for your child(ren) enrolled in our early education and care centres, out of school hours care, and school holiday programs.
- If you are an educator employed with us, you will receive a 95% discount on gap fees for children enrolled in our Early Education and Care, and Out of School Hours Care services. Refer to our media release for details.
- You will experience opportunities to grow your career with professional development, training and mentoring, with the three-time winner of the Large Employer of the Year award at the ACT Training Awards.
- You will be offered flexibility when you need it with options for study leave, leave concessions, paid parental leave and more.
- You will enjoy healthy living with our active lifestyle & healthy activity programs and reimbursements (including remedial massages, annual flu vaccination and more).
- You will receive guidance and support for your mental health through our Employee Assistance Program.
Children’s Services Careers: Make a Difference in Little Lives
A Career in Children’s Services is a career that grows. There is long-term job security, great career progression, high job satisfaction, and flexibility. There are also options to work and study at the same time, to obtain the minimum qualification to work with children. We enable our people to be a part of our social impact while making a difference in little lives, enjoying lots of laughs, and experiencing immense professional development and growth, with values-based employment.
As an employee of our children’s services, you could be working in one of our 12 Child Care & Education Centres, 17 Out of School Hours Care Services (Before & After School Care) or School Holiday Programs. You could also be running your own business as a Family Day Care or In-Home Care educator and be supported by Communities at Work’s Coordination Unit.
If you are interested in kickstarting a career in children’s services but don’t know where to begin, we can help. Our industry-leading traineeship, the Ascend Program delivered by our own Registered Training Organisation (RTO 88148 – The Centre of Professional Learning and Education), provides an opportunity to earn while you learn. Selected candidates gain valuable paid work experience in our children’s services while studying the minimum qualification to become an educator.
Approved applicants can also begin their Early Childhood Education career in service, before beginning their qualification journey with Communities at Work’s Registered Training Organisation. Educators are required to be actively engaged in working towards their qualification within three months of beginning work.
Community Services Careers: Make a Difference in Local Community
As the largest local community organisation, we offer roles in our range of community services: helping people experiencing hardship (community pantries, crisis support and other support services), supporting seniors and people living with disabilities (seniors and disability services), fostering the learning and development of at-risk and vulnerable young people (galilee school), or connecting communities (community development). As part of any of these teams in the organisation, you’re not only enjoying the benefits of being a valued member of Communities at Work, but also the rewards of being a valued member of the Canberra community, making a positive difference, especially in the lives of people who are struggling.
Working Behind the Scenes
Our ‘Organisational Support’ teams form the ‘engine room’ of Communities at Work. As a ‘corporate’ employee, you will work behind the scenes, to ensure operations are secure – today and into a sustainable future.
Corporate professionals including Finance, Marketing, HR, and IT come together in our friendly and connected office spaces, with ample opportunities for growth and development. Your experience and knowledge combined will help us make a positive social impact by ensuring our sustainability and helping us flourish, as every dollar we make is invested right back into the Canberra community.
Building a rewarding career through training at Communities at Work
People. Culture. Wellness.
Communities at Work restructured and relaunched our Human Resources Team, to the People, Culture and Wellness (PCW) Team. This group oversees employee experiences across the organisation’s diverse program areas. Managing recruitment and wellbeing is just the tip of the iceberg. The dynamic team strives to ensure Communities at Work is the fairest, happiest, healthiest and most productive workplace that it can be. Have questions about joining Communities at Work? Don’t be afraid to reach out to the team at email@example.com.
Hear it from an employee who worked with us for 23 years
Hear it from our employees in Disability Services
Thanking Children’s Services and Organisational Support Employees