Communities@Work’s Ascend Program is an industry-leading childcare traineeship that will open up exciting career and personal development opportunities, for individuals interested in the Early Education and Care sector. Selected trainees will gain valuable paid experience, working across our children’s services while they complete their qualification. Upon successful completion, graduates conclude the 12-month program with a Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care (CHC30113), and on-the-job experience and skills.
Applications for the Ascend Program January 2021 intake are open. Closing Date: 19 October 2020.
Our Ascend Program is offered by our Award-Winning Registered Training Organisation – The Centre of Professional Learning and Qualification.
In fact, Communities@Work has won the ACT Large Employer of the Year Award for 2 years in a row (2019 and 2020) for excellence in training and education, in the ACT Training Awards.
Why a Traineeship with the Ascend Program?
The Ascend Program offers trainees with valuable paid job experience, with the opportunity to work across our children’s services while they complete their qualification, with practical support provided every step of the way.
Our qualified and experienced educators and trainers will provide you with the support, opportunities, and challenges you need to launch your career for life. You will be provided with face to face training, online learning, mentoring, and practical experience working with children in a range of Communities@Work’s leading early education and care centres across the ACT.
Early education and care is a growing employment sector, and for those who are driven to take the next step, there are many opportunities to progress to team leader positions, early childhood teacher roles, and leadership and management roles, even within Communities@Work children’s services.
Earn while you learn
Since the Ascend Program is a structured, on-the-job childcare traineeship, you can focus your energy on obtaining your qualification while also earning an income.
You will be paid over the length of the program and will need to be available to work and study for 7.6 hours a day between 7.30am – 6.00pm.
Upon successful completion of the three-stage selection process, successful applicants are required to pay a sign-up fee of $400. This can either be paid upfront or paid over a number of weeks via payroll deduction. A fee concession is available to eligible trainees if they hold a valid:
- Australian Government Health Care Card
- Australian Government Low Income Health Care Card
- Australian Government Pensioner Concession Card
- Veteran’s Gold Card
Upon completion of the qualification, applicants may be eligible for a $300 government completion bonus as well.
Payment of incentives and personal benefits is subject to Australian Apprentices satisfying eligibility criteria as set out in the ACT Standard Compliance Guide for Australian Apprenticeships Training. The amount quoted is to be used as a guide only.
How will it work?
Students will participate in a 12-month program as part of a group of future educators who will benefit from a bespoke training experience. Group sessions covering theoretical knowledge and concepts will take place in Communities@Work’s training facilities. Invaluable practical knowledge will be gained as part of the learning modules in our leading early education and care centres. Your time in our early education and care centres will be fully supervised, allowing you to learn from experienced educators, teachers, and mentors.
The Ascend Program is more than just a 12-month childcare traineeship. It is the first important step in a rewarding and challenging career in early education and care.
Who Can Apply?
We are looking for candidates who are:
- passionate about being part of an elite team
- driven by positive, creative energy
- enthusiastic about pursuing or advancing a career in early education and care
- seeking the opportunity to be part of an organisation committed to excellence in service delivery.
The program would suit an applicant who is also:
- friendly and sociable
- a good team member
- a good communicator, and likes working with people
- conscientious and cooperative
- enthusiastic about learning.
If that describes you, we encourage you to apply.
To be eligible, you must be:
- at least 18 years of age;
- an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident OR a New Zealand Citizen who has lived in Australia for more than 6 months, OR a visa holder with work rights on a pathway to permanent residency and not excluded from participation in government-funded training;
- able to pass a language, literacy and numeracy assessment;
- not already holding other relevant qualifications in early childhood or education;
- registered for ‘Working With Vulnerable People’, or able to register;
- interested in working with children and families; and
- committed to completing the 12 month program.
Consistent with Communities@Work’s Reconciliation Action Plan, we encourage candidates who identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander to apply.
How to Apply?
Applications for the 2021 January Intake are now open. Apply today to start your paid childcare traineeship. Applications close on 19 October 2020.
For more information, you can also download the Communities@Work Ascend Program Handbook.
If you have any questions, please Get In Touch.
A career in early education and care is stimulating, satisfying, and rewarding. Make a difference in a child’s early years, and you can make a difference in life.